— Revolutionarymkting (@skconcepts) April 19, 2013
“Everyone needs a little time away far away from the ones that we love” ..
As busy working moms, we rarely take time for ourselves. Given our midlife hormones, we are often sleep-deprived and stressed from everyday life. It is so important that we get away every year for a few days from our family. Life is rough when mom isn’t there to hunt down clean underwear, the soccer uniform or missing homework along with managing the cooking and cleaning. So in our absence our family realizes how much we do and how much they love us. Best of all, we come back refreshed and relaxed.
For the last seven years, we have gone away to Sanibel Island with a group of extraordinary women. Our amazing friend who hosts the weekend organizes a fantastic agenda down to the most perfect detail for the ultimate relaxation. Having someone else take care of us is such a tremendous treat. We get massages, walk on the beach, play tennis, swim, watch movies, read by the pool, hunt for shells, and go out for divine dinners and dancing. The weekend is truly a little bit of heaven. And to top it off, the sunsets over the water in Sanibel are absolutely breathtaking.
While we enjoy Sanibel for a girls’ weekend, it can also be a wonderful location for a memorable family vacation.
Airlines, lodging and logistics:
- Most major airlines fly into Fort Myers except flights are not always direct. We flew Delta, rented a car with Enterprise for around $100 including the gas refill and the logistics were super easy. Also, if you have a bit of a wait at the airport, they graciously supply free WIFI.
- South Seas on Captiva: has wonderful accommodations for families and is right next door to Sanibel
- Sun Dial Resort: also has great lodgings for families in a variety of options and has just finished renovations
- VBRO or Dwellable.com: has a full selection of rentals and B&Bs
Favorite Family Friendly Restaurants:
- Blu: features delicious sushi and a hip atmosphere in Fort Myers
- Traders Cafe and Shop: serves succulent seafood and steaks and has a wonderful shop full of beautiful accessories made by local artisans
- East View Deli: offers a wide assortment of absolutely delicious sandwiches and wraps
- Island Cow: provides a family friendly atmosphere and menu with kiddie favorites like Kraft Mac and Cheese
- Cheeburger Cheeburger: sells the most amazing gourmet burgers which are terrific for carry-out or you can enjoy with the festive picnic decor
- Lazy Flamingo: has a fun bar menu but also serves child friendly food
- Outlets at Miromar and Tangers in Fort Myers: shopping is a must especially the UnderArmour store
- Biking: is the best way to get around the island: great for heading to the tennis courts and then grabbing an ice cream
- Shelling: Sanibel is world renown for its seashells. For the best shelling times, read the local paper/maps to find low tide. When the sandbar is out, you can find incredible treasures such as starfish, sand dollars, sea cucumbers, and beautiful shells
- Paddle boards: rent them for the family from Big Dog and hopefully you will spot a dolphin pod
- Massage: treat yourself by hiring Cindy Powers licensed massage therapist to come to your condo for a superb stone massage. 239- 850-2916
- Sanibel Day Massage: visit for a relaxing manicure or try Cindy at Cape nails
- J.N. Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge: learn about sea turtles and the wide variety of wildlife on the island and definitely consider a Tarpon Bay guided paddle boat or kayak tour
- Miami and Naples aren’t far away for day trips or nights out
So Seashell at Sanibel Sea Shore and let us know what you think.