Picturesque Vail Village
We highly recommend Vail Ski resort for a fun family vacation. Again, like most Colorado resorts you need to make sure you have saved your pennies. What is extraordinary about Vail is the amount of terrain and its variety. You think the front side is big and then you ski over the back and it is even bigger. Also other than Aspen, Vail definitely has the best ski village with fantastic shops from everyday ski wear at reasonable prices (got the family all fleece vests for $20 each) to art galleries to outstanding restaurants.
Our first time visiting Vail was for a dear friend’s summer wedding. We had a blast hiking, playing tennis and golf. With the altitude, the golf ball goes a country mile. We were so happy to go back to Vail with the children for some good old family ski fun.
The resort offers entertainment for both aggressive and moderate skiers. Here is a sample day: after the family spent a morning exploring the front side of the mountain, we had a wonderful lunch outside at Larkspur in the Golden Peaks Lodge. In the afternoon, the hubbies and teens skied the back bowls, while the moms and the younger children hit the village. A rickshaw ride throughout the picturesque quaint streets ranked as the highlight of the day. We toured Lions Head, the Four Seasons, the ice skating rink at the Solaris and the many wonderful shops. What a perfect ski day! Here is a quick and simple guide for ensuring your family has a wonderful time at Vail:
Lift tickets, ski rentals and ski school
- Save 20% if buy on-line seven days in advance
- Save 20% if order ski rentals on-line and be sure to sign up for the great perk of free delivery to your hotel. This service saves about five hours that can be used for fun!
- Friends highly recommend the ski school and if Lindsey Vonn calls the mountain home, it has to be incredible
Lodging & Dining:
- The Four Seasons and The Solaris look incredible but you must budget big bucks
- VBRO or Dwellable.com are great options for family friendly rental houses and b&bs
- Avon Village down the road has many less expensive hotel options and even features a Wal-mart!
- Vendetta: has wonderful Italian cuisine and a festive outdoor patio
- Ore House by the bridge: is perfect for family friendly seafood and steak
- Pazzos: can’t be beat for casual pizza
- Complimentary hot cocoa is offered on top of the mountain near Buffalo’s
- Fantastic village with architecture and shopping like Europe
- Home Mountain to US Olympian Lindsey Vonn
- Combo lift ticket with Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin
Cost saving tips:
- Not many tips because it is expensive like Beaver Creek so use frequent flyer and hotel miles where you can
- You can pack a picnic lunch and sit outside at the Golden Peaks Lodge
- For further cost savings tips and quick packing ideas: check out our blog listed below on Beaver Creek
Did we miss anything in our review of Family Ski Trips to Vail?
Be sure to do your best snow dance for powder! Enjoy your trip!
Skiing the iron mask run at the Blue Sky basin
- U.S. to host ski worlds at Vail-Beaver Creek (espn.go.com)
- Travel Insights: Review:an Extraordinary Family Ski Trip to Beaver Creek (revolutionarymarketingideas.com)
- Travel Insights: Family Ski Trips to Berkshire East, Charlemont, MA (revolutionarymarketingideas.com)